Facebook Badge

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

BEWARE THE SONIC SMOOTHIE!!

I took the kids to Sonic after school today for some frozen concoctions as a last day of school treat. I scanned the menu for something that looked good but healthy. I decided to have a one of their real fruit smoothies. According to the menu, it's made from real fruit, skim milk and fat free yogurt. So, I figured it was a smart choice.

NOT!

For starters, the consistency was more like a slush than a smoothie. It had big chunks of fruit in it. It wasn't well blended like a smoothie and it was less creamy. It was pretty good, but I had wished it was more smoothie-esque.

Anyhow, tonight when I logged in my calories on thedailyplate.com I was shocked to discover that the smoothie (regular size) has 500 calories and 98 grams of sugar!!! So, guess how many calories I went over by on my diet today? 500!! On a stupid smoothie! I could have had a large order of cheesecake bites, a large root beer float or a hot fudge sundae for less calories!

On the bright side, the smoothie does have a lot of vitamins A & C and calcium. But, so do my daily vitamins and they are calorie free!

So, after looking at their on-line nutritional guide (after the fact of course) I now realize that the best choice, if I should find my self at the Sonic Drive-In looking for something frozen again, would be the vanilla ice cream cone...180 cals, 6 grams fat and 20 grams of sugar. Certainly, it's not health food, but it's not too bad as a treat.

No comments: