Facebook Badge

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Just a Quick Post

I am exhausted! It is 10:30 PM and for the 3rd night in a row I'll be getting to bed waaaay too late. I love my job, but early mornings are really hard for me. As the week goes on and the sleep deficit accumulates, it gets harder and harder to get going in the morning. All that to say...this will be a short post.

I know that many people are following my progress. I find this to be such a great honor and source of encouragement. And, I don't want to leave you hanging! So, here is the latest.

As I already mentioned, my first fill was last Thursday. I had to go back to full liquids for a couple of days to give my stomach a chance to adjust. Now that I've been back on regular food for a few days, I can definitely feel a difference in the amount of restriction. Before the fill I had gotten to where I could pretty much eat as much as I wanted and I was having to really work hard not to over eat. But now, the band is starting to do some of that work for me. If I eat too much, too fast or if I take too big of a bite or don't chew well enough, I get an uncomfortable sensation in my upper chest. The food just kind of hangs there until it can start working it's way through my stoma and into the bottom portion of my stomach.

My head has not really caught on to the idea of my smaller stomach, however, and I still try to eat more than I can. For example, today's crazy schedule had me hitting Wendy's for lunch. I ordered one of their new "Go Wraps" which is basically a chicken tender, cheese, lettuce and ranch dressing wrapped in a tortilla. It's pretty small and I thought I would still be hungry, so I also ordered a small chili. Needless to say, the snack wrap was all I needed to be completely satisfied. But, I didn't want to waste the chili (duh!) so I tried to eat it. I got a few spoonfulls down, but that was it. I let Andrew have part of it and then ate the rest a couple of hours later.

This is a learning process, so I am trying to be patient with myself. I still feel that I am making really good progress and I am very happy with the way things are going. I am also confident that when my head, my stomach and the band all start working together, it's gonna be great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Tami Go!!! You can do it!! You are doing awesome and a testimony for all of us who are trying to get our head match our stomach. Blessings to you- I don't know how you get up so early but I am so thankful you do - the morning show is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tami,

Carey from Kernersville here...I have my first post op appointments tomorrow. I was hoping to make the support group meeting, but I used up all my childcare options for the appointment during the day...hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your story. I'm looking forward to feeling more restriction and hoping I get my first fill tomorrow. I was down 24 pounds, but have regained a few...

Tami said...

Heather-
Thanks so much for your encouragement and for listening to the morning show. I don't know how I get up so early, either. I have never been a "morning person". God is good...what else can I say?

Tami said...

Carey,
24 pounds is AMAZING! Way to go. Don't worry about the regain, you will definitely have an easier time when you have some restriction. It may take a few fills before you get there. I know that it can be frustrating when you see bypass patients losing so much right off the bat. But we will get there! Let me know how things go tomorrow.