Facebook Badge

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Getting "Stuck"

I have encountered one of the least pleasant side-effects of the band a few times now that I've been eating solid food for a while. Getting Stuck. Uck.

If I eat too fast and/or don't chew my food well enough, it can get stuck in my stoma-the small opening created by the band between the small pouch (upper part of the stomach) and the rest of my stomach. This results in a very uncomfortable sensation of extreme pressure in my chest which lasts for 10-15 minutes until the food works its way through, or comes back up...also known as a "PB" or productive burp (this has not happened to me yet). It is annoying, and painful, but it is a very powerful reminder to chew, chew, chew and slow down...which I should be doing anyway!

On another note...lots of folks are curious about how much weight I've lost..I think I am down around 25 pounds now, but I like to go by my doctor's scale for my official weight. The last time I saw him was on June 11 and I had lost a total of 20 pounds. My next appointment is on July 25th. I will definitely let you know the "official" new total then.

No comments: