Facebook Badge

Thursday, June 12, 2008

First Fill

Today I saw Fuzz and had my first "fill". This is when he injects saline to tighten my band. I was ready because my hunger had really kicked back in. I was able to eat more than a cup of food at a meal and was hungry just a couple of hours later. All signs that I needed more restriction.

The fill was quick and relatively painless. Fuzz located the port by pressing on my belly in the area where he placed it. Once he found it he used a needle to access the port and then injected about1.5 cc's of saline solution into the band. The port and the band are connected by a thin tube. He had already put in 3 cc's when he placed the band so now I have about 4.5 cc's of saline. I'm on full liquids again for 2 days until my stomach adjusts to the new level of restriction. Then I can start back on regular food and see what kind of restriction I have.

After my fill, Jeff the Psychologist met with me for a few minutes. He said I seem to be doing really well and was pleased with my progress and my outlook. He reminded me about the June Support group meeting. I am hoping to attend this one.

So far I have lost a total of 20 pounds. That didn't seem like a whole lot to me until I picked up a 20 pound bag of dog food the other night. WOW! That put into perspective how much weight that really is! No wonder I already feel so much better. I am hoping lose around 120 ponds total, I am now 1/6th of the way there. 1 bag of dog chow down, 5 more to go!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tami,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I was banded on June 3rd by Dr. Fuzz. I had a very lengthy process from the time I decided to get banded until I was finally approved. I just found your blog and am excited to read about your journey since we're pretty close in lapband age (I get my first fill on the 26th, hopefully). Hope to see you at the support meeting!
Carey

Anonymous said...

Tami, please keep the comments coming. You have really inspired me. I had been thinking about having the lap band surgery done but wasn't sure which way to go. On Monday, May 12th I came across the morning show on the radio just in time to hear you talk about your planned surgery that very day. I have just started getting everything together for the surgery & would love to think that I could have it before the normal 4-6 month process that they state. Please continue to keep us updated as your time permits. I love forward to one day soon telling you about my surgery. Best of luck and may God continue to bless as he always does.

Tami said...

Hey Anon! How cool that you found us the day of my surgery! God has also given me lots of reassurance throughout this journey.

Good for you for taking the necessary steps to reclaim your health! I look forward to hearing about your journey! Feel free to email me any time... tami@wbfj.fm.

Tami said...

Carey,

I am planning to go to the next support group meeting and I hope to see you there. I also am anxious to hear about your journey so far. Good luck with the fill. Mine went off without a hitch. It was a little uncomfortable but pretty much painless. Fuzz found the port with no problem. I pray that yours goes just as smoothly. Keep me posted!

Anonymous said...

Love your positive attitude and sharing your journey. Keep it up Tami!
Nancy

Tami said...

Thanks, Nancy for your kind words and encouragement. All of the support I have recieved has gone a long way in keeping me on track!