Facebook Badge

Monday, June 2, 2008

What a Great Day!

Today was my first day back in the world of REAL FOOD. To celebrate, my sweet hubby got up extra early (which means about 4:30 AM at our house) and made me scrambled eggs with cheese and toast. He brought me breakfast in bed. What a guy! I ate the eggs like a champ. I nibbled the toast a little, but I'm supposed to be eating mostly soft things, so I left most of the toast on the plate. I did scrape the butter and jelly off the top with a spoon and eat that. What?!?! It was my first meal...gimme a break!

I have truly enjoyed eating again, but it takes a loooooong time. I have to chew everything to a pulp and eat very small bites. I didn't have dinner tonight because I simply did not have time to eat. I went grocery shopping at Aldi and then had about 15 minutes to get to my friend Jane's house for a walk. So, I made a protein shake and had that on the way to Janes. Believe it or not, it hit the spot.

Jane and I walked 3 miles in her neighborhood. I felt great the whole time. I love walking with her. We talk and laugh the whole time and I forget that I'm exercising. It's a great way to catch up with a friend and burn calories.

Jane is the first person who is close to me that I've seen since the surgery but that I don't see every day. The last time she saw me was the day I came home from the hospital. Tonight, she said couldn't believe the difference in me already. She made her husband come in and look at me. He also seemed amazed by how much weight it looks like I've lost. According to my scale I've lost about 20 pounds, so I was really surprised by their reaction. She said my face looked a lot thinner. In fact, her exact words were, "Oh my gosh Tami, you've lost a whole chin!" (to get the full effect you have to imagine her saying that in her beautiful British accent). I loved it! She and Dave made me feel SO GOOD!

It is so great to have friends who are happy when you succeed. I thank God for people like Jane, my husband, my mom, my kids, my co-workers, my good friend Terrie and everyone else who continues to be my cheerleaders through this. Because of them I feel so special and so loved.

4 comments:

rhr04 said...

Congratulations on your dedication to this. You are encouraging more people than you know, in more ways than you know. Thank you for having the courage to share your journey with all of us.

Tami said...

Thanks so much, RH!

It is my pleasure to share this journey with you. I'm honored and humbled that so many people have taken the time to read my ramblings!

God Bless!

Jamie said...

Hey Tami,
I met you at Yadkinville Elementary School last week. Just wanted to let you know I heard from Susan and have a date of Aug.4th pending insurance approval. Please keep me in your prayers. Should insurance deny me I will be crushed. I will appeal I am committed to this happening in my life. I just wanted to say how much your post inspire me too. It is a positive point in this journey of waiting. Thank you for your willingness to share a very personal part of you. Take care...

Tami said...

Jamie,

I am praying for you! Please keep me posted and email me if you have any questions. I am here for you!

Love, Tami