Facebook Badge

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ready...Set...

Yesterday (Friday) was a full day of appointments at Baptist. First stop...pre-op evaluation. Lots of questions about health history, medications, etc. I was given my surgery time: 12:30 PM, Monday (although my Doc said it will probably happen later than that).

God Moment #1: The Anesthesia Nurse who did my evaluation and I got into a discussion about adoption. She has one biological child and one adopted child. She and her husband are now preparing to adopt their second child. They adopted the first domestically as an infant and would like to do the same thing this time. Here's the really cool thing...I told her about Caroline's Promise and the mission trip I took to Guatemala last year. Come to find out she lived in San Pedro, Guatemala for a year, just a few miles from where I was!!!

Then I was off to the lab to have about a gallon of blood collected for testing. OK...maybe an exaggeration...more like 5 vials. The lady who took my blood was a trip. She was late 40's/early 50's...a heavy-set African American woman who had no problem speaking her mind. I love that! As she was drawing my blood she said, "Girl...you ain't that big." She thought I wasn't overweight enough to have surgery. I thanked her! Then I told her that I met the qualifications for surgery and that I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. She said, "Did you ever try going on a diet, or exercising or something?" I told her that I had lost a lot of weight on diets, but gained it all back and then some. She said, "I just eat whatever I want, I don't worry about it. I'm bigger now than I've ever been!" Then we got to talking about the tornadoes that came through the area the night before. She said her husband tried to get her to go down in the basement when the storms neared their home. She told him, "I'm not getting out of bed and going down there. If it's my time to go, He'll take me!" I told her I was envious of her care-free spirit.

Then I got on the elevator to go to the next appointment...God Moment # 2...
A faithful WBFJ listener was on the elevator with me. She recognized me and told me that she heard me talking about the surgery and had been meaning to call me to talk about it. She said that she had requested the info packet about Weight Loss Surgery several times before but had never been able to follow through. I told her to email me...I hope I can be an encouragement for her. But, seriously, that hospital is MASSIVE and tens of thousands of people are there each day. What are the odds that we would have ended up on the elevator together??

The next stop was my final visit with Dr. Fuzz before surgery. First I saw Elizabeth the PA, and then met w/ Fuzz. He was unable to adjust his schedule to come in and be on the Morning Show last week, but he really wanted to make good on his offer to do so. So, he is going to be on the show with us Monday morning at 6:30AM before he goes into surgery for the day. What a guy! We'll record it and re-air it later in the morning so more folks can hear it. He said, "You know, going public about this puts a lot more pressure on you." He meant that since so many people will be following me, I'll be under alot more pressure to work with my Lap-band the right way so that I can maximize my results. I agreed and told him I was ready for it and that I welcome the extra accountability. I told him that my going public puts him under a lot more pressure too! He agreed that he is putting his reputation on the line by going public with me. He said (jokingly) that I may have to take a few extra beatings to keep me in line . :)

I asked him if I could have one "last supper" since Mother's day was this Sunday. He graciously agreed. I cannot wait!

The final stop was for my class with Amber the Nutritionist (i.e. The Food Nazi). She explained the post-surgery diet:

Days 1-4 (Thru Thursday):
Clear Liquids Only: Broth, Water, Low-Sugar Juice

Days 5-21 (Friday, May 16 thru Monday June 2):
Full Liquids: (This is also the 2 day post-fill diet)
Protein Shakes (2-3 per day)
Water, Crystal Light, Decaf Coffee/Tea, Broth.
No Sugar Added Yogurt (6 oz per day),
Sugar Free Pudding (6 oz per day)
V-8 juice or tomato soup (8 oz per day)
Sugar Free Popsicles
Sugar Free Jello
Start Vitamins

Week 3 until 1 Month Follow Up Appt (June 3 on):
Pureed/Soft Foods:
1 cup of food TOTAL at each meal, 3 meals per day:

Skinless Chicken or Fish (Must be Moist and Mushy)
Lean Ground Beef or Ground Turkey Breast (Moist and Mushy)
Light/No Sugar Added Yogurt
Scrambled Eggs
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
1oz 2% Cheese
Soft Cooked Veggies
Mashed Potatoes
Fat Free refried beans
Unsweetened Apple Sauce or Canned Fruit
Fresh Fruit (seedless)
Sugar Free Popsicles
1 Protein Shake (if needed)


Amber also talked to me about the diet/eating habits I will have to follow with the Lap-band. Eat slow, chew well, small bites. She gave me a baby spoon to eat with until I am used to small bites. That ought to be cute when I'm eating out! From now on, I am restricted to 3 small (saucer sized) meals per day. I am to eat the protein on my plate first, then the veggies, then the starch. I cannot drink 10 minutes before or until at least 30 minutes after my meal, because fluids will wash the food right through the the opening and into the larger part of the stomach, defeating the purpose of the band. I will also be unable to drink carbonated beverages, because the carbonation could cause the band to slip or my stomach pouch to enlarge.

So, as I write this, I am T-minus 51 hours until surgery. I have to say that God has been so faithful in answering my prayers for peace. I have had very little anxiety. Thank you for your prayers and please keep them coming! God is anserwing them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember, it is so important to eat slow. Especially after your first fill. It does not feel good when food gets stuck. Trust me on that.